Balcony, Deck Collapses and Defective and Unsafe Balcony Lawsuits
Fiumara & Milligan Law, PC has represented customers and tenants throughout the North Bay who have suffered injuries from unsafe balconies and/or defective balcony structures. These balcony injuries occur with undesirable frequency on commercial properties, parking structures, stores, apartments, and even homes. Such injuries include falls as well as injuries suffered in the collapse of parts of balcony structures or even entire balconies.
Whenever negligence or a defect are at issue, California allows the injured party to file a legal claim against those they allege to be responsible for their accidents including balcony collapses, deck collapses, and/or defective parts of both. Individuals as well as businesses that allow cost concerns and short cuts to trump safety bear legal responsibility to those who are injured on balconies on store fronts, parking structures, apartment houses, and even homes.
In California, the owner of residential or commercial property has a duty to maintain the premises in a way that minimizes the risk of injury to visitors, and inhabitants alike.
Oftentimes, the homeowner or business fails to properly safeguard and monitor the weight load on a deck or balcony which can result in devastating consequences. If you or a loved one has suffered an injury or even worse, death, because of a deck, balcony or other structural collapse, you want an experienced personal injury attorney to protect your interest and get to the bottom of what happened.
Fiumara & Milligan Law, PC together with its very experienced team of dedicated attorneys and experts brings more than forty years of combined experience to the people of the North Bay who have been injured in a deck or balcony collapse.
Mr. Fiumara knows firsthand what a lack of city building inspectors could mean for innocent apartment dwellers. Mr. Fiumara earned his Masters Degree in city planning in 1982 from The University Of Pennsylvania in Philadelphia. In his previous profession, Mr. Fiumara spent many years in government working for the mayors of New York City, Philadelphia and Newark, New Jersey.
Since its founding in 1992, Fiumara & Milligan Law, PC has placed a very high priority on personal service and attention, working directly with you throughout the entire legal process from the first meeting with an attorney until your claim or case is successfully resolved or litigated.
Our law firm has intentionally kept its practice small so that we have the flexibility to quickly respond to any developments in your case on a personal level. In addition, we can be accessible and available whenever you need to talk with us. On the other hand, because of our team approach and two conveniently located offices in the North Bay, we offer the resources and knowledge base you customarily find at larger law firms in the area.
Balcony and Deck Collapses—Protecting the People Injured
There are many causes for a deck and/or balcony collapse including but not limited to the following:
- Negligence in the construction of the deck. The architect or builder of the deck or balcony may have not only poorly designed the deck but could have used substandard materials.
- The deck or balcony may not have been built according to the “approved” plan and or the original design to save money, time or both. Oftentimes, without frequent City or County inspections, builders and owners will cut corners to save time or money.
- The deck may not have been constructed with properly treated lumber or may have not been inspected for wood rot or infestation which could have weakened the structure causing it to fall or collapse.
- Failure to warn and failure to consider and monitor the structure for maximum weight loads.
- Often without much thought, home owners as well as business entities hold events on decks and balconies without regard to the maximum weight bearing capacity of the structure.
- Design and structural defects are sometimes considered the primary reason for deck and balcony failure. Failure to properly connect the deck to the main structure often weakens the weight bearing load.
- If the deck is not properly integrated with the house or building, it can fall away and collapse especially with vibration or earth movement due to earthquakes or other natural and man-made events.
It is our job to seek full and fair compensation for all losses which have occurred in a deck or balcony collapse including recovery of all lost wages and income, reimbursement for medical expenses and pain and suffering. We will work tirelessly to pursue compensation for physical pain and suffering, as well as loss of consortium or companionship for everyone who has suffered as a result of these types of unfortunate events.
Please contact our office 24/7. This firm always offers a free initial consultation to anyone injured in a balcony and/or deck collapse. To schedule a private and confidential consultation, contact us at either of our two conveniently located North Bay offices: In Santa Rosa you may reach us at (707) 571-8600 and in San Rafael you may reach us at (415) 492-4507. We will take your case on a contingency basis, only charging legal fees if we recover compensation for your losses.