Here, At Fiumara & Milligan Law, PC we get numerous questions from many people regarding personal injury laws in California.
We have compiled a list of the most frequently asked personal injury questions for your reference.
What Should I Do If I am Involved in An Auto or Other Accident in Santa Rosa or anywhere in the North Bay?
Get As Much Information at the accident scene as possible including:
(1) The name, address, phone number, license tag number and VIN (Vehicle Identification Number) of the other driver/vehicle or person who caused your injury (this is usually inscribed on the dashboard or door panel of the car). Find out if they are the registered owner of the vehicle and, if not, get the registered owner’s name, address and phone #;
(2) Their FULL insurance information including the name of their insurance company, their policy number, a contact phone number (all drivers in California Are Required to Carry a Card evidencing “Financial Responsibility” (i.e. that their vehicle is insured). This information should be on their card.
(3) The names, addresses and phone numbers of any witnesses at the scene who saw what happened. Make a brief note of what they saw.
(4) If you are able to do so: Take pictures with your cell phone or other camera of the position of the vehicles, the property damage to all vehicles involved and any injuries you sustained (such as cuts, bruises, etc.).
Do I really need an attorney for my injury claim?
When you have an accident and another party is at fault, they will have an experienced claims adjuster or defense attorney representing them.
INSURANCE COMPANIES ARE IN BUSINESS TO TRY TO PAY AS LITTLE AS POSSIBLE ON YOUR CLAIM.
Therefore, it is always best to have someone in YOUR corner, fighting for you.
We are experienced, know the law, and will get you everything to which you are entitled. WE WILL GIVE YOU A FREE CONSULTATION so CALL NOW 707-571-8600 OR 415-492-4507.
What do I do if the other driver has no insurance?
Many times you may be able to proceed against the other driver if he has personal assets to recover. You may also proceed through a process to collect on your own policy if you have either uninsured or under-insured motorist coverage. WE CAN HELP DETERMINE IF THESE ARE OPTIONS.
How will I get around while my car is being repaired or replaced?
You are entitled to a reasonable rental vehicle. WE WILL HELP YOU GET A RENTAL car so that you can get to work.
How much money will I receive from my accident settlement?
Every case is different but, in general, you are entitled to the following:
(a) All of Your Medical Bills Paid (present and future) and your lost wages;
(b) All of Your Property Damages Paid;
(c) Compensation for pain and suffering;
(d) Potentially other compensation
What are the fees for hiring a quality personal injury lawyer?
Believe it or not, in most cases, we charge NOTHING until we recover a settlement for you. When a settlement is reached or upon winning at trial, we will charge only a percentage of the recovery as our fee plus any costs that we have advanced.
How much time do I have to submit my claim?
There are very strict time deadlines on submitting a claim. This is why you should consult an attorney AS SOON AS POSSIBLE after your accident. Delay of even a few weeks in seeking treatment or setting up your claim can significantly reduce the value of your case. Further, failure to file a lawsuit by the statutory deadline can result in losing ANY right to recovery so, CALL NOW !
Every lawyer says they are “good”, how do I know I have the “best” personal injury lawyer?
There are several things you should consider when hiring an accident attorney. These include the following:
- Experience: Our team of lawyers has over 40 years of combined experience litigating accident claims. We have and do take cases to trial, if necessary in order to obtain the maximum value on the case.
- Reputation: We have consistently received the highest awards and accolades from our peers and prior clients. This includes a Superb Avvo rating (the highest rating possible), being named a Top 100 Trial Lawyer, by the National Trial Lawyer Association. A good percentage of our business comes from referrals from other attorneys, past clients and people in the North Bay community who know we have done and will continue to do good work.
- Attitude: We treat each and every case as if it is our only file. We keep you updated as the case goes along. This is what we demand and this is what sets us apart from many other “mill” type law firms who simply “churn and burn” files for minimal value, hoping to make it up by “volume”. We fight hard for each and every one of our clients!
- Results: Although every case must be evaluated on its own merits, we feel our past results speak for themselves. We have recovered millions of dollars for our clients over a long period of time.